Sunday, March 20, 2011

Georgina Parkins at The Steeple Newburgh North Fife

This weekend Georgina Parkins, fine artist exhibited some of her recent works in the project space in The Steeple Arts Newburgh North Fife
Georgina Parkins.


Georgina states:
My work mostly draws inspiration from architecture, in particular older buildings in decaying areas of the city. The combination of flaky surfaces and clean, hard lines intrigues me, and it is this combination of textures and mark making I enjoy the most. I also take inspiration from horizon lines, especially the horizon at Leith Docks, as it is constantly interrupted by tall towers. These breaks in the horizon often map out my composition, as if I find a particularly pleasing horizon line to look at, I will take that horizontal and any corresponding verticals as my intitial composition before editing.
I do try and recreate lines and surfaces I have seen,however it is not so that I'm able to imitate that object or space, but rather so that I can apply it to my own composition to improve the aesthetic. Things that inspire me become links, and I order these links so that I am happy with the arrangement, in most cases this includes a lot of editing. Any information I consider unnecessary I will not include, as I do not feel the need to over complicate my work. I reduce my chosen subject to the bare essentials, and manipulate it for my own aesthetic pleasure. In doing this, I believe I make my original subject irrelevant to the piece, as it has been so heavily edited by myself. I would like the viewer to see my work as an object itself, rather than a representation of something else.
I hope the viewer to take in the initial experience as if taking a breath, then to allow their eye to consider the details. If a composition is too complex, or has too much information, then I find myself trying to take in all the information, rather then just enjoying the moment of first seeing it.
The history behind the sufaces I create is fundamental to my paintings. I am constantly clearing my paintings, by covering them in a layer of paint, or wiping away what I have worked on with lemsolve. By constantly clearing, then once again building up the piece, I give my painting a past, a sort of time line of paint. A completed painting in the colour blue at some stage might have been yellow, green, black, etc, and all these different stages with have an effect on the finished work.




More on Georgina.

No comments: