Saturday, March 01, 2008
North Fife Railway Newburgh
North Fife Railway Newburgh looking East towards Ennstone Thistle quarry by Lindores on its way to Edinbugh via Ladybank.
Bridge over the Edinburgh to Perth Railway at Newburgh. The path and steps descend from high on the South of the town across the railway onwards to the High street and beyond to the River Tay. There have been several railway stations in Newburgh, Fife. The original was opened in 1848 by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. The line through the station was from Ladybank to Perth. This station lasted until August 1906, when the newer station was opened.
Newburgh became a junction station on the 25th January 1909, when the Newburgh and North Fife Railway company opened a line from Newburgh to Dundee. This route called at calling at Lindores, Luthrie, and Kilmany, and was an attempt to provide a competitive service between Perth and Dundee via the south of the River Tay. The route diverged at a triangle junction just south of St Fort.
Newburgh North Fife Railway looking West on its way to Perth passing Abernethy.
North Fife History. Cupar: A History History of North Fife Cupar. North Fife Property. Tour Scotland. North Fife Maps. St.Andrews and East Fife: Cupar, Anstruther and Crail (Explorer) Rent a Cottage in North Fife Scotland.